Monday, September 3, 2012

Thought for the Day

Men will spend their health getting Wealth, then, gladly pay all they have earned to get health back.

For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his life.  Matt. 16:26

As a former campaign manager for President George Bush and chairman of the Republican National Committee, Lee Atwater had accomplished the two things he had wanted to do by the time he was 40.  Then he was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor.
 Shortly before he died he wrote. "I acquired more than most.  But you can acquire all you want and still feel empty.  What power wouldn't I trade for a little more time with my family?  What price wouldn't I pay for an evening with friends  It took a deadly illness to put me eye to eye with the truth, but it is a truth the country can learn on my dime. 
"  I lie here in  my bedroom, my face swollen from steroids, my body useless, The doctors still wont answer that nagging question.  How long do I have?  Some nights I can't go to sleep, so fearful am I that I will never wake up again.
"I've come a long way since the day I told George Bush that his "kinder, gentler" theme was a nice thought but it wouldn't get us any votes.  I used to say that the President might be kinder and gentler but I wasn't going to be.  How wrong I was!  There is nothing more important in life than human beings, nothing sweeter than the human touch."

No comments: