Thursday, July 16, 2009

Former Blue Hill Man to Live Strong in Austin

Former Blue Hill native and 1987 Blue Hill High School graduate, Brad Hargis, will ride in the Live Strong Challenge in Austin, TX on October 24-25, 2009. Hargis will join what organizers anticipate will be close to 6,000 riders who choose from a 10 mile, 20 mile, 45 mile, 65 mile and 90 mile course. Hargis will ride the 90 mile course which he completed last year in 5 hours and 13 minutes. By comparison, Lance Armstrong completed the course that day with a pack that started just ahead of Hargis at 3 hours and 40 minutes. Hargis now resides north of Joplin in Oronogo, Missouri, with his wife and five children. He is employed with the Freeman Heart Institute as Cardiology Coordinator. Individuals interested in supporting Hargis can securely donate online at http://austin09.livestrong.org/bikeanimal. "This is the greatest cause that I've ever committed to," Hargis says. "There is nothing but good that comes out of this. All proceeds go to finding a cure for cancer." Hargis's inspiration for making the ride: For those that know me, I'm not one to blow smoke up the wazoo! When I rode the Austin Livestrong Challenge 2008, it was one of the hardest physical efforts of my life. LOTS of climbing in the hills of Texas country. As with anyone making a tough, physical effort, there's always a shadow of doubt as to why we are doing this! Although I've made more difficult physical efforts on a bike, this was among some of the hardest riding I've ever done. As I crossed the finish line, lined with thousands of people cheering on survivors, family members and even those still battling cancer, it was even more clear to me why I was riding. After I finished and I took my turn watching the riders and others cheering, my thoughts turned to reflecting on memories of my Uncle John, whom I was riding for. Colon cancer claimed my Uncle. I stood there thinking and watching. I watched people laughing and crying. I watched people hugging, embracing complete strangers! I watched survivors, children, men and women, old and young. What determination it must take to battle cancer. All I simply did was ride a bike. I was asked by a complete stranger if I was okay. It was then that I realized I was leaking! Tears were streaming down my face! I didn't know that I was going to be this emotional! That was the inspiration. Thats why I rode my bike. I rode for those that couldn't ride for themselves. I rode for those that NEED me to ride!I'm going to ride again. Not for me, for THEM! Help us provide funding in the battle against Cancer. Please use my link to donate to the Lance Armstrong Foundation in the name of YOUR Uncle John, your son or daughter, Mom or Dad, or maybe, just maybe, YOURSELF! I will ride for you. We will ride for them. We will ride for you if you need us! The Live Strong Challenge is the signature fundraising event of the Lance Armstrong Foundation. In addition to Austin, similar events are held in Seattle, San Jose and Philidelphia. The Lance Armstrong Foundation (LAF) unites people through programs and experiences to empower cancer survivors to live life on their own terms and to raise awareness and funds for the fight against cancer. The LAF focuses on cancer prevention, access to screening and care, research and quality of life for cancer survivors. Founded in 1997 by cancer survivor and champion cyclist Lance Armstrong, the LAF has raised more than $250 million for the fight against cancer. Join 60 million LIVESTRONG wristband wearers and help make cancer a national priority. Unite and fight cancer at LIVESTRONG.org.

No comments: