Sunday, March 6, 2011

SENATOR NELSON RESPONDS TO MISTAKEN VIEW

Successful Fight Against Unfunded Mandate Spun By Partisans March 3, 2011 – Today, Nebraska’s Senator Ben Nelson issued this statement in response to mistaken views by Citizens Against Government about his efforts related to the Affordable Care Act, the new health reform law: “As a U.S. senator I’ve said that I will put Nebraska first, Nebraska always, but not Nebraska only,” said Senator Nelson. “This point and key facts were overlooked by Citizens Against Government Waste’s criticism of so-called pork barrel spending and my role in health reform. “The facts show, and those who actually worked with me know, that I did not ask for a special deal only for Nebraska. “Throughout health reform debate, I’d been concerned that states would be hit with another large unfunded federal mandate--because I’d fought them as governor in the 1990s. In the Senate’s final health reform discussions I sought an opt-out for all states from the proposed Medicaid expansion. “Governors underscored my concerns and in a December 16, 2009 letter to me, Nebraska’s governor stated: ‘The state of Nebraska cannot afford an unfunded mandate…of this magnitude.’ “Unfortunately, Senate leaders didn’t accept my proposal and instead put a placeholder provision into the bill giving relief to Nebraska as a first step to help all states. I want to be clear: this provision did not win my vote. What did was making sure the bill didn’t fund abortion and that it wasn’t a government takeover of health care. “I also voted for it because it eliminates pre-existing condition exclusions and enables young adults to stay on their parents’ insurance to age 26; it gives small businesses tax breaks to insure their employees and curbs bankruptcies due to medical bills. “Even so, partisans intentionally mischaracterized the Nebraska provision by demeaning Nebraska’s proud football tradition. In a Dec. 22, 2009 Senate floor speech I fought back saying: ‘It is in fact an opportunity to get rid of an unfunded federal mandate for all the states. Let me repeat that: For all the states…’ “I went to work to get the unfunded mandate funded. And in the final bill, that’s exactly what happened: all states received additional federal Medicaid funding that sharply curtailed the unfunded mandate. Maybe it should now be called the Cornhusker Touchdown. “Anyone genuinely concerned about unfunded mandates should have fought this one that would have battered state budgets. “Citizens Against Government Waste twists the facts to call this an earmark and perpetuates a myth about the Medicaid provision in the Senate’s health reform bill,” said Senator Nelson.

No comments: