Sunday, May 29, 2011

Straight from the Horses Mouth

Duane A. Lienemann,
 UNL Extension Educator,
Webster County
May 27, 2011 Edition
Last week I reported my investigation into the outbreak of an equine disease called Equine Herpes Virus (EHV-1) that reared its ugly head after a horse event in Ogden, Utah. There is both good news and bad news in the week that has followed. First, the good news…..State officials say Nebraska is in the clear so far in an outbreak of this virus that kills horses. We should be very close to the end of the incubation time that could have given us more confirmed cases or perhaps sick and/or dead horses. So far - so good! I think we are pretty much out of the woods here in Nebraska, and things should get back to normal, providing something else doesn’t occur that would set us back. While Nebraska has good news, other parts of the country had some bad news on the equine virus front.
Unfortunately, cases of this deadly strain of a horse virus have more than doubled in the past week and suspected cases have forced the quarantine of 15 more facilities. The U.S. Department of Agriculture has now listed 75 confirmed cases in 9 states and 61 facilities that have suspected or confirmed cases. Of the 75 confirmed EHV/EHM cases, 58 cases are horses that were at the Ogden, Utah event. That means that the USDA is finding horses with the disease that were not at Ogden; an indication of secondary or tertiary exposed horses becoming infected. As I write this 11 horses have now been euthanized and 17 more have shown signs of the neurological problems that likely lead to death. For reference, you may recall last week that I had indicated that there were 34 confirmed cases and 9 horses had died at that time. They have now found more horses that were infected in other states and from Canada, and particularly Alberta and British Columbia. Canadian officials are not reporting new cases since, so hopefully it is starting to wane there as well.
I indicated last week that several that “because of economic considerations and of the probability that this outbreak will die out that the state”, veterinarians around the United States had decided to allow horses to travel and to attend equine sporting events with the caveat that “as long as they have not come in contact with horses that participated in the Utah cutting show or horses from quarantined premises.” However, I think many people are a little nervous and I know that several horse events across the country were cancelled, including the annual horse judging contest at the Pitzer Ranch right here in Nebraska at Ericson. I understand why they are choosing to stay on the safe side. I have been asked if I had heard rumors that some District 4-H horse shows may not be held. I will have to admit that I have, however I have not heard any “official” notice that this will happen. But I guess we should keep an eye on developments, when, if or should they occur. OK, now I think we should now look at some good news in the beef arena.
Beef! Anyone that knows me - knows that I am a “Beef Lover.” I am happy to find that the Nebraska Cattlemen’s organization has unveiled a new “Beef Lovers” web site. Now that is right up my alley. The Beef Lovers web site is made up of individuals who would like to know more about where their beef comes from. As I understand it, it is sort of a “fan club” for Nebraska beef. I am sure that I am joined by many others out there. This site will more than likely prove that beef has lots of fans out there. I know that I am going to sign up. Are there any of you that will follow suit? I know that there are a lot of people in Nebraska that love to eat Nebraska beef and I would bet across this nation. It doesn’t matter if they have it at home or go out to a restaurant, people in Nebraska do love to eat beef. It is time to flaunt it.
According to the NCA director of producer education, Bonita Lederer, visitors to the web site can sign up to receive a monthly electronic newsletter, which features a cattle rancher profile, restaurant review and beef recipe. A nice bonus is that everyone who registers for the newsletter is automatically entered into a monthly drawing for a free beef certificate. This new web site is just one more way to bring beef producers and consumers together. It is a positive and proactive way to connect with our consumers. I have felt for several years that we in the animal production industry have been suffering from a lot of negative press and attacks from anti-animal agriculture entities, and perhaps more importantly are suffering from a disconnect from people who are now several generations removed from the farm, and all that goes with it.
The purpose of the web site is that the developers just wants consumers and anyone with an interest in beef, to see that we as beef producers really do things right. We really do care for our animals. We are raising a wholesome product that we are very proud of as producers–that the consumer can feel really confident in eating. You can find the new web site at http://www.beeflovers.org/ I can tell you that I will put my steak where my mouth is! Did I tell you that I love beef?
Lastly, I had the wonderful experience of doing something that I love to do this past week. On Thursday Webster County Fairgrounds was the site of a livestock judging clinic and contest. Many of my former students know the passion I have for this competitive aspect of livestock production. I believe that critical thinking, analytical reasoning and comparative sequencing is so important in the development of our young people. Mind development, communication skills, presentation ability, memory exercise, decision making and confidence building are all stepping stones. Those skill sets are learned with livestock judging. That is why I love it. Life is full of decisions, often involving multiple factors to be considered. Livestock judging teaches students to effectively weigh the evidence and then make sound decisions which better prepares them for success in life. I applaud the 80 kids that stepped up, and the adults who encouraged them!

The preceding information comes from the research and personal observations of the writer which may or may not reflect the views of UNL or UNL Extension. For more further information on these or other topics contact D. A. Lienemann, UNL Extension Educator for Webster County in Red Cloud, (402) 746-3417 or email to: dlienemann2@unl.edu or go to the website at: www.webster.unl.edu/home

No comments: