Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Legislative Newsletter
Senator Tom Carlson-District 38
January 29, 2013
This, my 7th year in the Legislature, may be the most important to my constituency and Nebraskans in general. I was elected chair of the Natural Resources Committee for the next two years, which will complete my second, four-year term. Water issues that I have championed come before this three day committee and I look forward to continuing my emphasis on this most important state resource.
A three day committee has additional staff members and also caused an office change for me.
Barb DeRiese continues as my Administrative Assistant and answers my office phone, which remains the same (402-471-2732). Barb also maintains my daily calendar and greets visitors to the office. You may also contact me by email at tcarlson@leg.ne.gov or write to me at the Capitol. My office is located in Room 1210, which is in the far southeast corner of the first floor.
Nanette Hessee is also from my original staff as Legislative Aide. Nanette is beginning her 21st session with the legislature. She is an attorney and is the primary staff person on my personal legislation as well as constituent matters. Barb Koehlmoos, the Natural Resources Committee Clerk, is a long term staffer and the committee benefits from her expertise. Barb schedules hearings and does the recordings resulting in transcripts that comprise the legislative history of all bills.
Laurie Lage is the Committee Counsel. Laurie, also an attorney, works with me and special interest groups to determine legislation and also drafts legislation concerning natural resources. She has worked for several committees during her legislative career. I am very blessed to have such a competent, professional, friendly staff ready and able to serve you.
My second committee assignment is the Banking, Commerce, and Insurance Committee, which meets on Monday and Tuesday. I have served on this committee previously and look forward to legislating in these areas once again.
Significant bills among the 655 introduced for this 90-day session include water issues, gun control, and tax exemptions. In addition to bills referenced to the Natural Resources Committee, I have introduced eight personal bills that will be heard in the Agriculture, Education, Revenue, and Appropriations Committees.
The Governor’s tax package will be introduced as LB’s 405 and 406. The hearings are scheduled for February 6th and 7th in front of the Revenue Committee. LB 405 provides for the elimination of individual and corporate income taxes. Twenty-seven sales tax exemptions totaling approximately $2.4 billion would also be eliminated to attempt to make the bill revenue neutral.
I’m convinced the measure needs to be revenue neutral for the agriculture and manufacturing segments of our state economy. From what I have seen so far, ag and manufacturing are taking the brunt of the loss of sales tax exemptions. LB 406, the second part of the Governor’s package, would end the corporate income tax and would lower income taxes on Social Security checks and pension income. This bill predicts those taxes would be made up through the elimination of nine sales tax totaling $395 million dollars a year. The question is the same with LB 406. How does it impact agriculture and manufacturing?

No comments: