Saturday, February 22, 2014

STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSES MOUTH

Duane A. Lienemann,
Unl Extension Educator

     I just got back from my annual foray to the Nebraska Cattlemen Classic. My wife cannot understand how I can spend the weekend let alone 3-4 days--- just looking at “cows”. That is not an easy question to answer unless you have the livestock show bug like I do. It isn’t just about watching other people’s cattle being paraded in front of a judge, or keeping record of what the individual breed’s heifers and bulls bring at auction. It is much more than that. Let’s take a look this week what my addiction may be.  Why do people like me take the time and effort to attend events like this, not for just a few hours, but perhaps for several days? Let’s discuss this phenomenon in today’s article from my point of view.
     From the very first time that my dad and grandpa took me to my first sale barn visit as a toddler I was intrigued by the livestock industry, and everything that goes with it. I loved sitting watching our cattle or hogs being sold. I also marveled at all the different colors, shapes and sizes that would come into the ring. I am sure I probably said: “Dad (or Grandpa) – those steers/pigs don’t look like ours.” I don’t recall him explaining to me why they were different --as he most likely he would say “Let’s go get a hamburger (more likely a piece of pie) from the Sale Barn CafĂ©, no matter if it were in Franklin, Smith Center, Kearney, Blue Hill or even Omaha. Nothing ever seemed to taste as good as the food at any of those “barns”, no matter the aroma or what was on farmer’s boots, jeans or overalls. Never mind the occasional fly or people tripping over chairs or feet trying to get to the arena because their animals were selling or that group of heifers they wanted to see sell were coming in. It was part of my education away from school. It was a true lesson in agricultural life.
     That curiosity and perhaps an innate desire to be close to livestock - and the people who raised them - led me to become active as a youth in 4-H and FFA with livestock projects, and of course we frequented the local county fair with our own animals, helped others with theirs and in general it seemed that it was just a part of what life was supposed to be. I had the opportunity to help a neighbor get bulls and heifers ready for show and sale. I prepared my 4-H/FFA steers and heifers for county fair. I learned a lot from showing livestock. As a kid, they were my responsibility. I washed them each day, halter broke them, combed and clipped - which allowed me to really bond with these calves and helped me to fall in love with the beef cattle industry. You felt the raw emotions of losing an animal from an assortment of reasons like heat, bloat, birthing problems, lightning --- or perhaps putting that animal on a truck for its final destination. You found out just how much these animals depend upon you, which in turn led to either profit or loss, depending upon the care and herdsmanship that you gave them. You learned the uncertainties and even the inevitable. These too were lessons in agricultural life.
     Over the years, I’ve felt the sting of last place and the glory of a championship. I may have been a little confused my first time out in the show ring as my mother told me that I was about mid-pack in a market beef class at the Franklin County Fair and I got a blue ribbon, but when I came out of the ring I was upset, it wasn’t about not winning, but rather that the kid next to me got a red ribbon and I thought it was prettier. I must have been an early Husker fan. Of course I learned later the value of those ribbons and even trophies and became rather competitive. Matching wits with the judge or other exhibitors was fun. Even though I disliked the taste of losing, my parents always reminded me that win or lose, at the end of the day, showing animals was much more than a place in a class line-up, a ribbon or a trophy – much, much more. 
     There is something about the smell of the mix of show adhesives and oils, mixed with the typical aroma of animal waste, wood chips and the barn dust that everyone that attends these events can attest to. Not to forget the alluring smell of the food wafting to you from the vendors or the crockpot or grills of exhibitor families that pop up in some corners of the barn or right outside of their “space”. You cannot carry on a quiet conversation with the sound of blowers, fans, clippers, clinking of clipping chutes and the mooing of cattle and the excited chatter of kids, parents and those just there to watch. We still, over the din and activities going on, exchange handshakes and pleasantries, talk beef or other livestock issues, or discuss who we think will win the show or perhaps our take on how good or bad that judge is. Time goes by fast.
     One thing that I have found over the years is that people who raise animals or are involved in the livestock industry are a rare breed in their own right. They are good, hard-working people who strive for better animals, better feed and/or management --and when it comes to showing those animals -- cost is not that much of an option, as it is an expensive “hobby” but they find a way to do it. They live the life that they love. It does get in your blood and ---stays there. 
     You really do feel that you missed something if you choose not to go, or if something else conflicts with these venues. Perhaps it is visiting with the vast cadre of friends from all around the country. Maybe it is the draw of those smells and sounds I described earlier. For many, including me, it could be to check your eye, to see if you can still place a class or pick out a champion – keep up with the industry. For many it is to support friends, family, kids or grandkids in their endeavor or perhaps to support a particular breed of beef. It may simply be the opportunity to talk to vendors like semen services, feed or animal health representatives or livestock equipment manufactures or maybe to study and purchase something. Perhaps it is the sharp staccato and occasional tapping of a gavel that is germane with the auctioneer. One thing is for sure. I am not alone with this affliction. It would be fun to hear what others say – in part so I have an answer for my wife! What say you?


   The preceding information comes from the research and personal observations of the writer which may or may not reflect the views of UNL or UNL Extension. For more further information on these or other topics contact D. A. Lienemann, UNL Extension Educator for Webster County in Red Cloud, (402) 746-3417 or email to: dlienemann2@unl.edu or go to the website at: http://www.webster.unl.edu/home 

No comments: