Thursday, December 19, 2013

A LOOK BACK

Sen. Deb Fischer

I was raised to keep my promises, and throughout my first year as a United States Senator, I’ve worked hard to do just that. I came to Washington ready to get to work on Nebraskans’ priorities, such as getting our nation’s fiscal house in order, strengthening middle class families and communities, and ensuring we keep our promises to military service members.

Despite my frustration with the political games that often hold back progress, I am encouraged by opportunities in which we have been able to get things done.

For example, I’ve been working with both Nebraskans and my fellow lawmakers to cut the red tape and address overregulation, which holds back economic growth. I asked Nebraskans to identify specific federal regulations hurting their businesses. One common problem I heard about was a misguided new rule for on-farm fuel tanks. I was pleased the Senate adopted my amendment to directly address this and bring needed regulatory relief.

As a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, I helped write policies to ensure our men and women in uniform have the resources they need to fulfill their missions. I’ve also offered measures to end sexual assault in the military. After visiting with Nebraskans serving in the Middle East and speaking with many of our state’s veterans, I’ve never felt more proud and thankful for the bravery and service of these men and women who sacrifice every day for our safety and freedom.

Another priority of mine has been making sure our communities have a 21st century communications infrastructure. The Senate approved a bipartisan amendment I introduced to promote access to broadband services. After working with my colleagues to address call completion problems, I was grateful the FCC announced an effort to resolve this challenge for both rural and urban areas.

While there are many issues where I’ve been able to work with my Democrat colleagues, major disagreements persist regarding the role of government and federal spending. Our national debt surpassed $17 trillion this year, a sad milestone. To address our fiscal crisis, which is also a national security crisis, I’m supporting responsible fiscal policies to cut spending and reduce our debt. In January, I was proud to cosponsor a balanced budget amendment to the Constitution. Nebraska is legally required to balance its budget, and there is no reason the federal government shouldn’t do the same.

To take on government waste, I introduced a bill to save $890,000 of taxpayers’ money that is literally wasted on nothing but empty grant accounts. I also cosponsored legislation to limit spending on expensive portraits of government officials. I will continue to look for waste in government spending and work to eliminate it.

An issue undeniably on the minds of business owners and millions of Americans this year has been the President’s failed healthcare law. Scrapping Obamacare has been a focus of mine since I arrived in the Senate, and I cosponsored legislation to fully repeal it. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, the law went into effect. Its disastrous rollout was predictable, but what is worse is its effect on hardworking middle class Americans and their families.

More than 7,000 Nebraskans have contacted me with concerns about Obamacare. In Washington, I’ve shared their stories of cancelled plans, sticker shock costs, and lost access to their current doctors. The list of broken promises resulting from this law seems endless, and I remain fully committed to repealing and replacing it with patient-centered, common sense reforms.

I am honored to serve you in the United States Senate every day and I appreciate your ongoing input. I look forward to continuing my efforts to advance the interests of Nebraskans in Washington as we confront the great challenges faced by our nation.

Bruce and I wish all Nebraskans a Merry Christmas and a happy holiday season. May it be filled with peace, joy, and hope for the new year.

No comments: