Friday, April 15, 2016

Young Nebraskans Serving Community and Country

Rep. Adrian Smith
Spring is the high season for school group visits to the nation’s capital. Over the past few days, I had the opportunity to welcome students from Aurora, Boone Central, Clearwater-Orchard, and Wood River schools to Washington, D.C.  
As I talk with these young Nebraskans about the issues we are working on in the U.S. House, I deeply appreciate their thoughtful questions, feedback, and ideas. One of my priorities as a Member of Congress is helping more young people get involved in serving their communities and country.
Each year, I have the privilege of nominating a select group of young Nebraskans to attend the U.S. Service Academies, including the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, New York; the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland; the U.S. Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs, Colorado; and the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York. These esteemed institutions equip the next generation of military leaders while also preparing them to succeed in public or private careers.
On Saturday, April 30, 2016, I will host my annual Academy Day in conjunction with the offices of U.S. Senators Deb Fischer and Ben Sasse. The event will take place at the Kearney Public Library, located at 2020 1st Avenue in Kearney, from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Academy Day provides information to help Third District students and their families determine whether an education at a U.S. Service Academy is the right choice for them. Academy representatives will discuss the application process, academy life, and benefits of enrolling.
To be considered for nomination, students must submit a completed Academy Packet to my Grand Island office with a postmark date no later than September 30, 2016. Students will be asked to provide details about their academic records and extracurricular activities as well as letters of recommendation. More information on Academy Packets can be found on my website at AdrianSmith.house.gov or by calling my Grand Island office at 308-384-3900.
Students who submit their completed packets by the deadline will be invited to interview with my Academy Advisory Council in late fall 2016. Once interviews have concluded, I will nominate a select few applicants for admission. The final decision to admit a nominee belongs to the Service Academies, but it is an honor to lend my support to the young men and women in Nebraska who are willing to answer the call of duty.
At the end of March, I had the opportunity to meet with members of my Youth Advisory Council in the Third District and discuss issues ranging from the federal budget to energy innovation to the rising cost of higher education. It is refreshing to hear directly from the next generation of leaders and talk about real solutions to better serve Nebraskans.
My office has begun accepting applications for the 2016-2017 Youth Advisory Council. Any rising high school juniors and seniors from the Third District interested in sharing their thoughts and concerns with me at meetings throughout the school year can visit my website and download an application form. I also encourage high school teachers and administrators to share this information with interested students. For questions about the Youth Advisory Council, please contact my Washington, D.C. office at 202-225-6435.
The future of our country depends on the development of young leaders. Whether young Nebraskans are interested in military, government, or community service, I am eager to help them get involved and reach their goals.

No comments: