Saturday, April 9, 2016

STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSES MOUTH


Duane A. Lienemann
Nebraska Extension Educator
         I find myself really struggling to keep my mind on task and my eyes open as I write this week’s column. I actually have a pretty good excuse for this as I rolled in late last night after an intense couple of days at the 88th Nebraska State FFA Convention. No, I have not been at all of them. I was however privileged to join many people who volunteer their time and efforts in helping to run the convention and the accompanying agricultural education contests and leadership contest events. I have now had this opportunity for several years and look forward to it each and every year.  I come away every year so highly impressed with the young men and women across our state whom I get to know a little better through these highly competitive and inspirational events. The last couple of years has been a little different than the many I previously attended, as this convention and its events were held at the Pinnacle Bank Arena, hotels in the Haymarket, and on East Campus. I believe that it is a good change. I have always been blown away by both the National and State FFA Convention and this year was even better. You could feel the enthusiasm and the electricity in the arena – the goosebumps always come!
     I spent the first 29 years of my agricultural career on the other side of the FFA convention, coaching, monitoring and hauling kids to where they needed to be, and of course reveling in the accomplishments of my “kids”. So working the convention from another point of view is more than interesting.  I had the opportunity once again to work with the FFA “Cream of the Crop” by helping with the Legislative breakfast, the State Proficiency finalist interviews and the Star State Degree finalist competition. It was also gratifying to see a former student, Scott Heinrich, once again take the stage as a 25 year Past State FFA Officer – what a kick that was! I have always known the innate and developed skills of these young people because as a teacher I had the privilege to work with some of the best in the land in my ag education classes and local FFA Chapter. I have to tell you that this event keeps me grounded and reaffirms my faith in the future of agriculture and our country with the talents and skills exhibited by these outstanding young men and women. And the legacy continues.
     This year’s State FFA Convention theme was “Amplify!” I like this buzzword because when you think about it the definition of amplify is: “To make larger, greater, or stronger”, and after witnessing more than 4600 young men and women all dressed in the Blue & Gold, with the enthusiasm, spirit and unbridled anticipation for their future that they bring, you cannot help but feel really good about our future. I believe that the FFA does indeed amplify the impact that our young people can and will have on the future of agriculture and the future of our state and nation because of the spirit, confidence, energy, work and determination that just oozes from these young adults. I believe in these young people and what they offer. I can tell you that our area young people in Nebraska represented us all very well and that they make us all proud.          
     These students had the chance to “Amplify: Boost the Impact” that they have accomplished at his years State FFA Convention. It was amazing to see these young people compete in Career Development Events (CDE) and of course Leadership Skills Events (LSE). It is unbelievable how many dollars these young people contribute to Nebraska’s economy and the hundreds of thousands of hours of service and volunteerism that they contribute to our local communities. “Amplify,” is designed to encourage youth to “boost their impact” on their community and the world. FFA gives these young people the tools to pump up their involvement and become a positive force for change. It is no secret that the organizations like the FFA and 4-H have contributed mightily to the future of countless thousands of young people all across our State and our Nation. I am so blessed to be associated with both. It doesn’t get any better than that for someone like me. I have personally had the great opportunity to see the impact that these organization have had on these young people and future leaders, but even more importantly the impact that these young people have had on our farms, ranches, small towns, cities and our state. So many have of these young people have gone on to be important contributors to society, businesses and even the legislative processes in this State. FFA of course is all about agriculture, but of utmost importance – Leadership!
     My former students will tell you that I always tried to instill in them that “It is not so much what you know in this world, but who you know!” What I was referring to of course was the networks that they can form in their activities and membership in both of these great agricultural organizations. This networking was so obvious at this year’s Convention. Not only at the convention sessions but all the activities that were provided for those that were in attendance. You saw blue jackets from all over Nebraska with different chapter names on it gathered together. That is really no different than when I was in FFA. Some of my best friends today are those that I made from other chapters 50 some years ago when I was in their shoes.
     I was personally touched, and felt good about one of the Keynote Speakers, Dr. Ronnie Green, who was this week announced as the new Chancellor for the University of Nebraska, who had one of the State FFA Officers come out with an FFA jacket. This jacket was special to him as it was his retiring jacket that he wore as a Virginia State FFA Officer. He attributed his growth in knowledge and leadership to his time in FFA and challenged the young people in the audience to take advantage of those opportunities afforded them, as the future is there for them. He reiterated the need for individuals in our Number One Industry – Agriculture. He pointed to the youth and said “Someone out there is just like me. Your future is ahead of you!” Dr. Green is an excellent choice for Chancellor and we as a State and a University are very fortunate to benefit from not only his love of FFA, but his background, his passion, his wisdom and especially his leadership! 

The preceding information comes from the research and personal observations of the writer, which may or may not reflect the views of UNL or Nebraska Extension. For more further information on these or other topics contact D. A. Lienemann, Nebraska Extension Educator for Webster County in Red Cloud, (402) 746-3417 or email: dlienemann2@unl.edu or on the web at: http://extension.unl.edu/statewide/webster 

No comments: