Tuesday, September 8, 2015

August in Nebraska

U. S. Senator Deb Fischer
            
 August, I spent four productive weeks working back home in Nebraska. From Omaha to Scottsbluff, I logged over 2,400 miles traveling across our beautiful state. Our wonderful people and communities show why we call this the good life. It is truly a privilege to listen to you and hear what’s on your minds.
One of the most rewarding parts of my job is being able to thank our men and women in uniform for their brave service to our country. At a special ceremony in Elkhorn last month, I was honored to welcome home Army Reserve soldiers. I also hosted a roundtable discussion in Omaha with veterans of the War on Terror and Operation Iraqi Freedom. Their stories and the challenges they face reinforce my commitment to their legacy and our duty as a nation to provide them with the best care when they return home.
Transportation fuels Nebraska’s economy. But in order to support our economy, we need to ensure that our infrastructure is up-to-date. For that reason, I was proud to welcome U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx to Lincoln on August 12. Together, we held a roundtable discussion with Nebraska transportation stakeholders and held a site visit at the Diverging Diamond Interchange Highway project. This was a great opportunity to present our shared commitment to long-term infrastructure policy and funding. Throughout the month, I hosted many events with representatives from the small business community, city administrators, economic development leaders, medical professionals, and members of the agriculture community.
Nebraska is strong because our citizens are engaged and informed. During August, I hosted over a dozen listening sessions. One issue stood out at nearly every event along this journey: Nebraskans are frustrated with the EPA’s attack on our energy and water resources.
I’m working hard to address this federal overreach by fighting each one of the administration’s heavy-handed regulations. From the “waters of the United States” rule and the war on coal, to a proposed rule to lower the ozone standard, these punishing regulations will increase costs, hurt businesses, and harm Nebraska families. The EPA needs to hear common sense from Nebraska. To aid in this effort, I hosted a field hearing of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee in Columbus on September 1. At this hearing on the EPA’s ozone rule, Nebraska stakeholders went on record to voice their concerns and show how these regulations will hurt families, raise costs, and empower the federal government.
My most important duty in the Senate is providing for our national security and protecting our nation from threats. On the proposed nuclear deal with Iran, your voices were overwhelmingly aligned and candid. I share your concerns. This deal does not benefit our country, and it will make the world a more dangerous place. While I don’t believe we have the votes in Congress to stop the deal, I will remain a vocal opponent of this agreement and work to ensure that our top priority is the security of our nation. 
As I return to work in the Senate, I bring with me renewed dedication to making our country better for future generations. From Scotts Bluff Monument to Arbor Lodge State Historical Park, the unique beauty of our state shines brightly. Our state is a treasure, and our people make us proud. I will continue to work hard and serve the people of Nebraska. Your voice will guide my work and remain my most important source of information.
Thank you for participating in the democratic process. I look forward to visiting with you again next week.

No comments: