Thursday, December 18, 2014

My Record

Newsletter from Sen. Deb Fischer
I recently released a digital report detailing my work to represent Nebraskans during the 113th Congress. As I’ve said before, despite the gridlock on many of the big challenges, I have been focused on finding common ground on smaller, but important issues where we can make progress.
The result is a record I am very proud of. I hope you and our fellow Nebraskans take some time to review the report. It’s also a tool to ensure accountability and transparency – both of which are key to a properly functioning democracy.
Highlights from the report include several legislative initiatives I led that have been signed into law.
Many of these accomplishments relate to provisions included in the Fiscal Year 2014 and Fiscal Year 2015 National Defense Authorization Acts (NDAA). For example, I proposed legislation to authorize and oversee the Department of Defense’s effort to neutralize Syria’s chemical weapons. In May of this year, I visited the men and women performing this vital mission and toured MV Cape Ray – the vessel used to neutralize those dangerous weapons.
I’ve also led in the fight to end sexual assault in the military. Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) and I offered an amendment to the FY 2014 NDAA that directly bolsters the rights of victims impacted by crimes. Our amendment empowers victims of sexual assault by ensuring they are aware of their basic rights to be informed, present, and heard at critical stages throughout their ordeal.
On March 10, 2014, the Senate unanimously passed the Victims Protection Act — legislation I offered with Senators Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.) and Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.) to combat military sexual assault, bolster victims’ rights, and boost accountability for offenders. The legislation was incorporated into this year’s NDAA.
I also worked across the aisle to provide regulatory relief for farmers and ranchers impacted by the EPA’s Oil Spill Prevention, Control and Countermeasure (SPCC) rule.  A version of our bill was adopted in the form of an amendment to the Water Resources Development Act (WRDA), which was passed by Congress.
Provisions I championed to advance stalled flood control projects, including levee improvements essential to protecting Nebraska’s metropolitan drinking water supplies, were also included in WRDA and signed into law by the president.
Other regulatory relief efforts I led were also signed into law, including a bill (H.R. 724) to eliminate unnecessary paperwork requirements placed on car dealers. In November, my E-Label Act was passed by Congress and became law. This commonsense legislation modernizes costly, outdated physical labeling requirements on electronic devices. This saves manufacturers money and ultimately makes products more affordable for consumers. The signing of this bill was also noteworthy as it was one of only two stand-alone bills written by a freshman senator and signed into law.
President Obama recently signed into law the Satellite and Television Extension and Localization Act, commonly known as STELA. This law includes language I fought for to address television market arrangements that often leave rural counties without local TV programming.

Currently, nearly a third of Nebraska’s counties are considered to be so-called “orphan counties,” meaning local TV content comes from outside the state. I have heard from Nebraskans expressing concern about the challenges of staying informed on local issues if they can’t access local programming.
These are just some highlights of my record and the important issues I am working on. To learn more, I encourage you to read the full digital report. It is available through my social media outlets and is also hosted on my website, www.fischer.senate.gov  .
As your U.S. Senator, I remain committed to working with my colleagues in both parties to achieve positive, meaningful, and lasting solutions to our nation’s challenges. It truly is a great honor and privilege to represent Nebraska values and advance our shared interests in Washington. Bruce and I, and our family wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas, a blessed New Year, and a joyous holiday season.
Thank you for participating in the democratic process, I look forward to visiting with you again next week.

No comments: