Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Here to Help

Newsletter from Sen. Deb Fischer

         One of my priorities as your U.S. Senator is to ensure that your federal government is working better for you.  In Washington this is done through aggressive oversight of our federal agencies, fighting burdensome regulations, and changing federal laws when necessary. But my work to improve your experience with your government isn’t limited to Washington.

I am also here to help individuals who are experiencing specific challenges with the federal bureaucracy and red tape. Unfortunately, difficulty dealing with federal agencies and programs is not uncommon. With outreach and casework staff in Scottsbluff, Kearney, Norfolk, Lincoln, and Omaha, my office is committed to assist you  in whatever way we can.
My staff has a strong track record of helping constituents navigate a range of bureaucratic hurdles — from difficulty acquiring VA medical records, to problems with Social Security, to trouble obtaining tax refunds owed by the IRS. Helping to resolve these challenges can improve the livelihoods of Nebraskans, and it is an extremely rewarding part of my job.
Here are a few examples of how my office has helped to assist constituents over the past two years:
  • A mother needed help to ensure her son suffering from a life-threatening disease received vital prescriptions. Her son’s insurance policy was dropped by his Medicare Advantage carrier because of changes resulting from Obamacare. The carrier allowed her son to apply for another policy and verbally confirmed that he was covered. However, when they attempted to retrieve his prescriptions they were told there was no record of his coverage under the new policy. After several calls to the carrier, the frustrated parent spoke to my staff requesting assistance. My office worked with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) to look into the miscommunication and confirmed the son’s coverage. The mother wrote me to say, “In frustration I called your Omaha office. My son would die without his meds….Within a day [my son] was contacted by Medicare, his insurance carrier, and soon had his prescriptions.”
  • Beginning in May 2013 – after hearing from nearly 300 Nebraskans – I led the Nebraska Congressional Delegation in delivering both formal and informal communications to the U.S. Department of Interior Secretary, Sally Jewell, echoing the concerns of Nebraskans about the Ponca Bluffs and Niobrara River land management plans being considered by the National Park Service and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The proposal under review would likely result in the government management or acquisition of more than 1.4 million acres in Nebraska and South Dakota. To address this overreach, I sent a letter with Senator Johanns to question Interior Secretary Jewell about potential federal land acquisitions in Nebraska and introduced an amendment prohibiting federal funds from being used to acquire this land.
  • A Nebraskan submitted a payment to the IRS for tax year 2012. This check was an overpayment and he was due a refund; however, the IRS misapplied the payment to an account of a deceased individual. After my office got involved, a refund check from the 2012 overpayment was mailed to John for the amount of $857.97.
These are just a few of the many Nebraskans I have been honored to help over the past year. I am blessed to have a great team of Nebraskans throughout the state who are highly knowledgeable and experienced at working on federal casework. They do an excellent job helping Nebraskans navigate through these complex federal agencies and are ready to assist with any troubles you may be having with the federal government.
Nebraskans are busy working to earn a living and provide for their loved ones. The last thing you need is uncertainty caused by bureaucracies in Washington that take time away from raising your families and achieving your goals.
If you are having trouble with a federal agency, my office is here to help.  I encourage you to reach out to any of my state offices or contact me through my website: www.fischer.senate.gov. My dedicated team of experts will work hard to get the answers to your questions and ensure your federal government is serving you properly.
Thank you for participating in the democratic process, I look forward to visiting with you again next week.

No comments: