Friday, September 5, 2014

Working for You

   

 By: U.S. Senator Deb Fischer

For the past several weeks, I have had the opportunity to travel throughout the state to meet with Nebraskans, community leaders, business owners, and a number of different groups to listen to their concerns. It was inspiring to see the amazing things our friends and neighbors all across the state are doing to build stronger families and communities. Nebraskans’ unmatched work ethic and strong spirit of service keep our state moving forward. That’s why we’re leading the nation in fields like hospitality, innovation, entrepreneurship, and economic growth. 
In Omaha I had the chance to participate in a “heart of the house” tour, where I went behind the scenes at the Omaha Embassy Suites. I visited with employees and learned about the great work they do to run a first-rate operation and make guests comfortable during their visits. Hotels are responsible for creating 7,600 jobs – resulting in $148 million in pay for families – across the state. The industry also generates $269 million in revenue for Nebraska each year.
Nebraska’s relatively low taxes and sensible regulatory environment have attracted multinational companies like Coca-Cola, which runs a distribution center I visited in Omaha. I also enjoyed stops at Dinkel’s Imeplement Co. in Norfolk, the Nebraska Brewing Company in LaVista, and Trenton AgriProducts. These businesses are key engines of local economic growth and help ensure our state remains an attractive place to live and raise a family.
I was also encouraged to see that many of Nebraska’s smaller communities are focusing on economic development. I took part in a walking tour of local businesses in Chadron, which is continuing to grow and build an increasingly vibrant downtown.
Another key to economic growth is a strong healthcare system. I was impressed by the excellent work being performed at both the Nebraska Heart Hospital in Lincoln and the Dundy County Hospital in Benkelman. I am also pleased to see the high quality of care offered at assisted living facilities dedicated to helping our seniors. I had the pleasure of witnessing this care firsthand at the Willows Assisted Living Center in Neligh and Parkview Lodge Assisted Living in Rushville. Our seniors have given so much throughout their lives and it’s important to ensure they receive good care in their later years.
One of my top priorities as a senator is ensuring our veterans receive the care we promised them. Although Congress has made progress in addressing the crisis at the VA, we have a long way to go. That’s why I held veterans roundtables in Omaha and Alliance to hear more about our vets’ suggestions for improving the system. 
This year, I held over a dozen open listening sessions for constituents from eastern Nebraska to the panhandle – with many stops in between. The congressional research site “Legistorm” noted that I was one of two senators to hold the most open listening sessions in the month of August. 
Truthfully, staying in touch with Nebraskans is the best – and most important – part of my job. Thank you to all who attended these listening sessions and for your input. If you were unable to attend, you can always share your ideas by writing me or calling my office. Contact information is available on my website http://fischer.senate.gov.
Finally, no Nebraska summer is complete without a stop at the State Fair. Bruce and I enjoyed two days at the fair visiting with friends and neighbors and walking through the 4-H exhibits, livestock barns, and the exhibit hall. We were especially impressed by the Nebraska Building’s interactive topographic floor map, which does a wonderful job illustrating the incredible diversity of Nebraska’s land; it was amazing to see the 4,584-foot drop in elevation across the state. It’s not news to us, but make no mistake: Nebraska’s not flat. Fair time also means ice cream for breakfast and barbecue beef for lunch – it doesn’t get much better than that. 
Nebraska is indeed blessed and it’s my great honor to represent all Nebraskans in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking part in the democratic process and I’ll visit with you again next week.

No comments: