Saturday, June 14, 2014

STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSES MOUTH

Duane A. Lienemann
UNL Extension Educator

     Last week I started in on my thoughts on Chipotles’s newest attack on American beef. I promised I would continue the discussion on this, and my blood pressure hasn’t come back down, so I will give some more thoughts on the matter. For you that missed last week’s edition, I reported on the push for this restaurant change in procedure to bring in Australian “grass-fed beef” to its restaurant because they cannot find enough “responsibly raised” beef here in the good ole USA. If I were playing a popular card game, I would declare “bovine excrement” on this statement. 
      I talked last week about the care that all farmers and ranchers that I know give their beef herds and how ridiculous it sounds to me when people or companies bash them or call them factory farms. I touched on the past attempts by the management of Chipotle’s Mexican Grill to vilify American raised and especially corn fed beef through a myth-laden mini-series. To be blunt, Chipotle's advertising is just plain deceitful. They've touted "Food With Integrity" for years, all while implying the beef, pork and crops that we raise on our family farms are somehow poison and unfit for human consumption. This week I think we need to make some points about beef and American farmers and ranchers. 
     Getting right to the point – I’m not very impressed with the tactics Chipotle has shown not only in the last few months, but past few years. They build a marketing plan based on “integrity” and “responsibility” while preaching about being environmentally friendly and supporting the local family farmer – then turn around and pull this stunt. I will tell you that I'm glad Mr. Ells, CEO of the restaurant in question, is at least committed to keeping beef on the menu at Chipotle. I will give them that. But that is where my appreciation ends. We have enough problems with misinformation and myths.
     I submit that consumers need to know that beef is a fantastic source of protein, iron, zinc and other essential nutrients. We need to work together to keep the public informed that beef is a critical part of a healthy diet, and should not be avoided like recently disproved research suggested. I disagree strongly with his broad statement or designation of "Responsibly Raised" being limited to grass-fed ranchers. I can say with confidence that all types of beef producers are committed to producing beef that is safe and healthy. Only FDA approved products are used on their cattle and they are used sparingly.
     I think it important that people know or at least realize that all beef, whether it has been grass or grain finished, contains the same essential vitamins and nutrients that we need in a healthy diet. You won't be able to look at two beef animals standing in a pasture and say, "That one will give me more iron because it ate the most grass," or, "This one will have more zinc because it was fed grain."  Or the famous “Organic beef is far superior and is much healthier for you.” Farmers and ranchers differentiate the way they raise their beef animals solely because we, as the consumers, all have different preferences and taste buds. The choice of which one you prefer is all up to each of us. We have a choice – our choice!
     We all should be thankful for all farmers, whether they produce conventional, organic or natural products, because they are giving use the chance to choose what fits our lifestyle and budget. Personally, I prefer the taste of corn-fed beef because that is what I was raised on, and I simply could not see a taste benefit from the grass-fed beef that I have experienced. That is my preference and I know a lot of people who agree with me. If you travel beyond the confines of Nebraska you will find that our state’s corn-fed beef is unique and I would not trade it for any steak from any other place. I celebrate the choices that the American consumer has available to them: grass-fed, organic and conventionally raised beef included. No matter what method of production our ranchers choose, beef is still a leading source of protein to our diets. I'm curious if Ells or many consumers realize that beef provides ten essential nutrients, including zinc, iron and protein? These nutrients aren't judgmental and show up in all types of beef not just grass fed or natural, but grain finished and conventional beef too! 
     All ranchers and farmers care for their cattle and land in the best possible way. It does not make sense to do it in any other way. Their livelihood depends on it as does feeding their own family. This is a community of people who continually strive to live their lives with passion and are always working hard to continue to improve all aspects of raising cattle. Bottom line, I believe that, grass-fed or conventional, we should be supporting American farmers & ranchers and do our part to source products grown and raised in the USA prior to sourcing elsewhere. To a lot of my cattlemen friends, their cattle are their life. If they were not responsible they would not be in business. I wish that Mr. Ells and Chipotle’s would take the time to listen to the folks that have their boots on the ground day in and day out to provide a responsible, healthy product for our consumers instead of smearing them with untrue videos and now this publicity stunt of bringing in “Down-Under” beef. I guarantee to you that all producers want what is best for consumers, as their livelihood depends on it!
     I do understand that this is America – land of the free. A wonderful place where we have the right, amongst other things, to choose what dining establishment we frequent and if our meat comes corn-fed, grass-fed, hormone free, fried, grilled, well done, rare, or with steak sauce. And if a company wants to import products from another country, then by all means they can do it ‘til the cows come home”, or until “pigs fly”, but personally I prefer supporting a company that doesn’t contradict its own values and promotes actual responsibly raised beef. Support those restaurants that do just that, especially if they advertise that it is good Nebraska beef!! All of a sudden I have a craving for a “responsibly raised” Nebraska steak!

The preceding information comes from the research and personal observations of the writer which may or may not reflect the views of UNL or UNL Extension. For more further information on these or other topics contact D. A. Lienemann, UNL Extension Educator for Webster  County in Red Cloud, (402) 746-3417 or email to: dlienemann2@unl.edu or go to the website at: www.webster.unl.edu/home  

No comments: