Friday, August 3, 2012

..STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSES MOUTH


Duane A. Lienemann
 UNL Extension Educator,
 Webster County
August 3, 2012 Edition
I suppose I should first start out with an update on my state of body condition. I don’t mean Body Conditioning Score like we do or should do in our cattle herds. I am sure that I would be in the BCS 6 category for that. For you that were not aware, about three weeks ago I pitched off the back steps of our house and did some damage to my body, and then in a foolish bit of stubbornness reinjured my hip, but with a little more damage. It was enough to ground me completely from our county fair and another week to boot. As I write this I am still confined to the house and bed, but am up and about and able to walk, how-be it, carefully. This down time has given me the opportunity to do a lot of reading and time to catch up on things including what is now ravaging our land and crops. Let’s call it what it is – a full blown drought.
We have seen it all, from plant emerging problems, hail, wind, and of course incessant heat and wind. We have had a couple of very welcome showers this past week, but there is an adage “Too little, too late” which is applicable in this case. Of course anything we can get is welcome and these little “drinks” I am sure had a positive effect on the soybeans and grain sorghum. Unfortunately, I doubt it did much good for the corn as from what I hear a lot of that is already in the dent stage. It would not surprise me to see some corn harvested in August. How weird is that? The way this year is going it would also not surprise me to see an early freeze. Why not? I want to remind everyone that UNL Extension has some wonderful material for dealing with the drought. It doesn’t matter if it is livestock, lawns and gardens or crops and pastures. Simply contact your local UNL Extension office or go on line to http://droughtresources.unl.edu  .  
Also during this down time readings, I have been keeping up with some things that really concern me in regards to our “friends” in Washington DC and of all places the USDA. I think I need to catch up a little on that in this week’s comments. What really caught my eye and my attention was a ridiculous item that happened last week. I will preface this by saying – What if you were a livestock producer and you find that the USDA sent out a newsletter that encourages everyone to participate in “Meatless Mondays”? Yep, that was my reaction too. I will bring you up to date on that and the actions that were taken and then go to something else that I think we need to watch closely.
If you don’t believe me you can simply request a copy of the newsletter from me or you can go to Senator Moran from Kansas:  http://moran.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/files/serve?File_id=668d6da1-314c-4647-9f17-25edb67bb2f2   It was interesting to see the action and the reaction on this typical Washington DC over-reach. I know my blood was boiling when I first heard about it, and I fired off a couple of letters. I am happy to report that the USDA/APHIS, following a whirlwind of activity on social media and visits from the various livestock associations and from disgruntled Senators and Congressmen, disavowed the “oversight” last week, claiming that the item had not undergone proper approval. It was just an unfortunate, innocent event - yeah right. You might find Senator Moran (R. Kansas) reply rather interesting  http://moran.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/2012/7/sen-moran-to-ag-secretary-why-is-usda-asking-employees-not-to.
It should be pointed out that the data on the effect on greenhouse gasses was taken from an early United Nations study that was found to be erroneous, so the misinformation is still being used to go after the livestock industry, and this time by USDA. It was part of a "Greening Headquarters Update" provided to USDA employees. From what I understand there was input from an USDA/APHIS official that used to be associated with – surprise – HSUS. Her name is Sarah L. Conant.
What is troubling to me is that Conant serves as the chief enforcer for APHIS within the USDA? Why is that important? She has spent the majority of her life trying to end animal agriculture and being an activist for animal rights. Her last employer was the Humane Society of the United States. It would not surprise me if she is still on their payroll, and for sure I would bet they still have her ear. My guess is she is a plant, compliments of HSUS. HSUS is the world's largest animal rights organization, yet nobody will answer the question of why the USDA hired her. Why not?
If that isn’t enough you should be aware that the USDA/APHIS is now proposing revision of regulations implementing the Animal Welfare Act to redefine "retail pet store." The proposed rule would expand the number and type of animal breeding and husbandry facilities subject to licensure, inspection, and recordkeeping under AWA. You might say, will that doesn’t affect me, big deal. I have concerns about its potential impact on farmers and ranchers.
As it is written, it appears to me that if a farmer or breeder sells even one animal as a "pet" in a situation where the buyer does not come to their home, farm or place of business, they will be required to become USDA licensed. A farmer selling an animal for purposes such as 4-H or FFA projects could potentially come under the impact of the rule. It also requires a USDA license (with annual costs between $30 and $750), and are subject to regulatory requirements for standards of care and unannounced warrantless inspections by APHIS personnel. APHIS is authorized to seek civil monetary penalties for violations of animal care standards of up to $10,000 per day, per animal. Under certain circumstances, APHIS may also seize animals or work with state and local authorities to seize animals. While livestock used for food production are not currently included in this rule, it potentially does present an opportunity for APHIS inspectors to gain access to agricultural operations, which is unprecedented. Now what do you think? Call your Senator!

The preceding information comes from the research and personal observations of the writer which may or may not reflect the views of UNL or UNL Extension. For more further information on these or other topics contact D. A. Lienemann, UNL Extension Educator for Webster County in Red Cloud, (402) 746-3417 or email to: dlienemann2@unl.edu or go to the website at: www.webster.unl.edu/home

No comments: