Friday, May 25, 2012

Saying Thank You


Several years ago I was involved with a group that tried to show support for the soldiers in Iraq by sending regular packages and notes to the soldiers.  Because my grandson was serving with the Strykers their group was one of the recipients of our packages.  After some school children gave us valentines to add to our packages we received this note of thanks to share with them and others who helped us remember the soldiers.  Memorial Day is a good time for us to reread this type of message and remember all our Soldiers who are away from home and loved ones and those who will never return.

Dear Supporters of the Soldiers,                                                18   Feb 2004

Thank you  2nd graders of Morton, and 6th graders of Hawthorne elementary!

I wasn’t sure how to start this letter, but what better way than to say “thank you so much for the valentines.”  I don’t know if you realize how important it is for soldiers to receive mail from the people back there in our great nation.  It reminds us that we are here for a good cause.  The valentines especially brought smiles to the soldiers of my mortar section.  We are the proud soldiers of A Company, 5th Battalion  20th  Infantry Regiment, 3rd  brigade of the 2nd  Infantry Division.  Our Unit’s name is “Sykes Regulars” and our history dates back to the civil war.   We’ve been in the civil war,  WWI,  WWII, the Korean war, and Vietnam war, now we are the brave soldiers in Iraq.   Many of us knew this day was coming since our Battalion received the first new strikers that the Army had seen.  My company did the Millennium Challenge at Ft. Irwin California’s National Training Center (Company was the first unit to ever take a Stryker over seas.   5th Battalion of the 20th Infantry Regiment has been one of the most important parts of the Stryker Brigades success, so once again, it is good to see all of my hard work has paid off.
 I personally want everyone who supports us to understand that everyone here in Iraq has their own reason for being here in the army and Iraq.  My reasons were so that my son may never have to fight in a war, so my wife Meghan will be safe at night, whether I am there to be at her side at night or not, for the freedom of America and all her citizens including you,  the reader of my thoughts.  I miss my wife and son very much, and I know they miss me.
One of the letters we received was from a young woman, age 12.  Her words found a place in my heart that I will keep with me always.  “I am sorry for the ones who won’t make it home.”
Before my deployment to Iraq two of my childhood friend became soldiers who will never make it home.  I keep them in my  heart and I know every morning that I or someone I know and love like a brother may never make it home.  My family knows it is a possibility and it is a concept that is very hard to grasp.  But we all every soldier makes a sacrifice for our great nation, and sadly, some make the ultimate one.

Most soldiers are very young, in the age range of  18 to 24.  I joined the Army when I was 17 years old.  When I went through basic training my son was just 5  months old.  I am now 19 and will turn 20 in 3 days.  My son will be 3 August 3rd  and yet again for the third time I will be away on his birthday.  I will probably cry silently, as many soldiers do .  We do not cry in front of each other as it may lower moral, but all soldiers will cry at some point we all want to come home to our loved ones.

All the soldiers send their love to you, especially the soldiers of A company mortars.

SSG. Johnson,  SGT Taylor,  CPL. Smith, CPL Lunsford, SPC Haack,   SPC Barayuga, SPC Whitely, PFC Burg, PV2 Garrett, PV2 Fritsch    and myself, SPC Richard C. Warren
THANK YOU

No comments: