Friday, September 9, 2011

..........STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSES MOUTH

Duane A. Lienemann,
 UNL Extension Educator,
 Webster County
September 9, 2011 Edition
Well I made it through the Nebraska State Fair! I am tired and a little footsore, but was very proud of how our South Central Nebraska exhibitors did with their projects. I can tell you from being right there that the quality of our livestock and static type exhibits don’t take a back seat to too many people. From 4-H and FFA to Open Class, our region was very well represented. I hope that a lot of you got the chance to take in at least one day of the fair. It is fun and gratifying to see our youth and adults interact, help each other, and enjoy an event like our State Fair. Now as I stare at the pile of mail, notes and the long list of emails in front of me, I realize how busy this time of year is.
Grain Sorghum Tour: I really should be going through boxes of material that have been gathering behind my desk, but it seems more satisfying to look at some fields or pastures in the form of tours. I had that chance this week including the Nebraska Grain Sorghum Producers Hybrids Day that was held near Lawrence. There was a nice turn-out for the tour, but it makes me a little sad to see how so many people have unfortunately got away from utilizing this great grain crop. I understand the four letter words usually associated with grain sorghum, but still pine for the days that you saw every section within South Central Nebraska having at least one field of the copper-red heads that let you know there was going to be a crop, even if we were facing some moisture problems. There really isn’t anything quite like a ripe field of milo in the Fall.
Before I get in trouble I probably should explain the four letter reference. It seems when you talk grain sorghum you come up with, of course, milo, but then it seems that you have to add some other four letter words like dust, itch, cane, weed, and cash. I think there are probably others, but I will stop there. I think however that milo gets a bad rap, as I still find that crop as an important factor for an area that is used to a shortage of moisture, dry soil conditions plus producers who have cows or cow/calf pairs. Milo stalks in my opinion are by far the best grazer for fall and winter months.
Pasture Weed Tour: I also had the opportunity to attend a pasture weed control tour near Inavale which featured a new product that is coming out from DuPont. The product is an Aminocyclopyraclor (DPX-MAT28), which is a new generation of herbicides belonging to a family of herbicides known as synthetic auxins. From what I saw we may have a very effective tool to add to our pasture weed control arsenal. I think this new pesticide is slated to come on line the first part of 2013, but may be available in Fall of 2012. I am not sure of the common name that it will have, but think it was Rejuva.
Husker Harvest Days: It is hard to believe that time is upon us already. For you that live under a rock, HHD is September 13-15. I will be helping man the UNL Extension building. If you happen to be there on Tuesday, be sure to stop by and say hello. Speaking of Husker Harvest Day, Nebraskans with private water wells can have their drinking water tested for nitrates at the event. Well owners can bring a cup-size water sample in a clean bottle to the Natural Resources Tent, Lot 1018, at the northeast end of the Husker Harvest Grounds. Tests will be available between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday, and 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. on Thursday. They will primarily be testing for nitrates in the water. Nitrates pose a potential threat to infants younger than 6 months old, pregnant women, and anyone with a weakened immune system. Livestock are also susceptible. If you are concerned or just curious about your water, here’s your chance.
Insects in Soybeans: I have been getting phone calls and visits about some problems in soybeans. I stopped and looked at some fields yesterday and this morning fully expecting to see just some residual damage or shot holes from the work of Bean Leaf Beetles. I did of course find them, and unfortunately I am finding a different type of defoliation --plus some clipped pods lying on the ground. After really looking through the canopy I was surprised to find a bunch of unwelcome guests, Green Cloverworm and a few Fall Armyworms. These worms are working pretty hard on several fields. I am also finding grasshopper damage, especially on the outside edges and along grassed waterways and ditches. I think they are more likely to be the cause of pod loss, although worms can be too. I know several producers who want to spray for these insects, but I think we would be hard pressed to find an insecticide that is readily available that will have less than 21day pre-harvest interval, and has the ability to get the array of insects that are out there. If you feel that you have a problem that warrants spraying, be sure to be cognizant of the days till harvest, insects, and the insecticide rating before you spray.
Good News: As most of you who read this column know, I have been watching the EPA and how they approach agriculture on the Clean Air and Clean Water Acts. Last week President Obama told EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson to pull revisions to the Ozone National Ambient Air Quality Standards the agency was preparing to finalize. The order came after the administration had come under fire for the costs associated with the rule. EPA estimated implementing the new rules would have cost up to $90 billion a year. Additionally, the new air rules would have left 85 percent of monitored counties out of compliance, making expansion of businesses-including most agricultural operations very difficult.
Most of us that know about livestock, know that the ill-conceived bill that denies the inspection of horse meat and the thus the demise of horse slaughter in the US has had huge negative effects on horses and horse owners. Keep an eye on Congress. The full Senate Appropriations Committee completed their work and their bill does not contain a single provision that prevents USDA from providing inspection of horses! It may just open the way for a return of sanity to the horse world!
The preceding information comes from the research and personal observations of the writer which may or may not reflect the views of UNL or UNL Extension. For more further information on these or other topics contact D. A. Lienemann, UNL Extension Educator for Webster County in Red Cloud, (402) 746-3417 or email to: dlienemann2@unl.edu or go to the website at: http://www.webster.unl.edu/ome

No comments: