Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Nebraskans want Congress Focused on Jobs, Taxes and Debt Reduction.

November 17, 2010 – Today, Nebraska’s Senator Ben Nelson issued these comments after voting against measures to move forward with Senate debate on food safety and employee pay legislation. “When I traveled across Nebraska during the congressional break Nebraskans told me loud and clear that my focus in this lame duck session should be on jobs, tax cuts and debt reduction. I listened, I heard and those are my priorities,” Senator Nelson said. “A lot of other important bills have and may come up in the next few weeks concerning defense policy, a new nuclear arms treaty with Russia, immigration, food safety and more. While those should be addressed and they will be addressed, now is not the time as far as I’m concerned. “The hundreds of Nebraskans I met with in recent weeks from North Platte to South Sioux City, Omaha to the Sandhills didn’t bring those issues up. Only one person brought up anything on immigration. “What I heard was this: Nebraska families and businesses want all of the tax cuts that expire on December 31st extended at least for a couple of years. With our still shaky economy, they want continuity, consistency and clarity. I’ve read that businesses are sitting on $1 trillion in cash. That money could be invested overseas if we play politics and don’t provide certainty soon. “Nebraskans also want Washington to create jobs and to protect jobs they still have. I couldn’t agree more. “And Nebraskans want Washington to cut the nearly $14 trillion federal debt that is a drag on our economy and a danger for our country’s future. “Everything else can wait, they told me, and I agree with them.”

No comments: