Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Nebraskan's View by Senator Ben Nelson

Monday, October 5, 2009 THINKING OUTSIDE THE BELTWAY Health care reform being talked about in Washington is arguably the most significant health legislation since Medicare. It needs to be done right and it needs to include input from outside the Beltway, which is why I continue to hold public meetings with Nebraskans all across the state. I’ve now held eight town hall-style meetings from one end of Nebraska to the other and may hold more as we continue to see details about the reform package. These meeting are important to me because I must know exactly what Nebraskans support when approaching such an important issue. I also want to respond to Nebraskans questions directly, one-on one. Legislation Must Deliver for Nebraska The President is leading the health reform effort and needs to continue to make clear what he supports so I can evaluate whether it’s the best approach for our state. I am for bipartisan health care reform and am working to make sure we incorporate the best ideas from both Republicans and Democrats. I strongly believe in bipartisanship and think we must ensure Americans from across the political spectrum to have their say in these important reform efforts. I am working to be constructive and not obstruct the President’s efforts to reform health care. As a result, I am keeping an open mind on every option for health reform—public plans, co-ops, private plans, trigger options and any other ideas that may come up--everything. My vote is not on auto pilot or directed by inside the Beltway politicians. If it’s not good for Nebraska, I won’t vote for it. Reduce the Cost of Health Care From what I hear from Nebraskans, many would like to see reforms that reduce the cost of health care, preserve existing coverage most now have, provide for Nebraskans who don’t have health insurance and improve the quality of care. The majority of Nebraskans who attended public meetings share my view that health care reform legislation should not cover illegal immigrants or provide funds for abortions. Unless explicit language is included in the bill prohibiting these measures, it will not get my vote. In addition, the legislation must not raise taxes, add to the deficit or undermine the private coverage 200 million Americans currently have. It must not cut benefits or get between patients and their doctors. But costs must be brought under control because the day of reckoning is nearing. Health care costs are on an unsustainable path upward. People who can’t afford it today are already victims of these increases, and there will be more victims as the costs continue to go up, unless we slow down that unsustainable growth. I’m looking forward to seeing details as they unfold and will make sure that Nebraskans see them as well. My pledge to you is that your thoughts expressed during public meetings around the state will be heard. As more details become known I may hold more public meetings to continue getting your “outside the Beltway” thinking.

No comments: