Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Breaking the Gridlock


Newsletter From Sen. Deb Fischer
Despite gridlock on many of the big issues in Washington, I have made a concerted effort to find areas of agreement with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle. As a result of my persistence, I have made progress on a number of issues important to Nebraskans, including regulatory relief.
A recent example is Congress’s passage of my bipartisan Enhance Labeling, Accessing, and Branding of Electronic Licenses (E-Label) Act. Behind this bill is a story worth sharing.
The chairman of the Senate Commerce Committee is Jay Rockefeller, a long-time liberal senator from West Virginia. As a member of that committee, I had an introductory meeting with Chairman Rockefeller. Based on our initial conversation, it was unclear whether we would be able to find much common ground on policy matters.
Undeterred, I made it a mission to pursue legislation we could work on together that would both help Nebraskans and prove that a liberal West Virginia senator could collaborate with a conservative senator from Nebraska. I also had a limited opening to work with Chairman Rockefeller as he is retiring at the end of this year. My E-Label Act provided an opportunity for us to come together.
The E-Label Act would ease certain regulatory requirements on manufacturers of products such as phones, computers, and other electronics, by giving them the option to meet the physical label requirement digitally. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) currently requires most device manufacturers to etch or otherwise permanently place regulatory information and symbols on the exterior of approved products.
As electronic devices in the marketplace become smaller, physical label requirements may become increasingly difficult to meet and more costly for manufacturers. The e-label option promises to lower costs for both producers and consumers.
After drafting my bill, I reached out to Chairman Rockefeller to seek his support. I was pleased that the chairman agreed to be the lead Democrat sponsor of my legislation and together, we were able to rally our Senate colleagues on both sides of the aisle. As a result, the bill passed with unanimous approval on September 18, 2014.
On November 13, 2014, the House of Representatives – led by Congressman Bob Latta (Ohio-05) – unanimously passed our bill, which is now awaiting President Obama’s signature before becoming law. Sending a bill to the president is no small feat; in the past two years, only 185 bills have passed Congress and actually become law.
This commonsense legislation will provide relief for job creators, increase options for consumers, and bring outdated regulations into the 21st century. Moreover, our legislation will go a long way to increase options and lowers costs for manufacturers while also making required regulatory information more easily accessible to consumers.
I look forward to the President signing the E-Label Act into law and I am confident the FCC’s Office of Engineering and Technology will do a good job updating our labeling rules. Notably, FCC Commissioners Michael O’Rielly and Jessica Rosenworcel were vocal supporters of our legislation.
I will continue to find opportunities to work with my colleagues from both sides of the aisle. As an Omaha World-Herald editorial recently noted, despite ideological differences with Senator Rockefeller, “a constructive relationship developed, and Rockefeller lent his support to a Fischer bill, passed by the Senate, about regulatory requirements for the manufacture of electronic devices. Lawmakers need to see if consensus on the smaller issues can help lead to sensible legislative action on the bigger ones.”
I agree. Reaching accord on smaller, yet important issues can lead to greater trust among senators, which is necessary for progress on the larger challenges facing our nation. Since taking office, I have held over 280 public meetings across the state since taking office in 2013. Nebraskans consistently tell me that they want lawmakers in Washington to step up, work together, and do their jobs. I will continue to do my part to build relationships, work with my colleagues, and advance meaningful solutions for all Nebraskans.
Thank you for taking part in the democratic process, and I will visit with you again next week.

No comments: