Friday, August 1, 2014

Hearing From You This August

Deb Fischer 

 

By U.S. Senator Deb Fischer
I am looking forward to spending the month of August meeting with Nebraskans across the state.  This time is important for me to hear from constituents and listen to how federal policies are impacting your daily lives. It will also allow me the opportunity to gather input from you. That is invaluable to my ability to represent your interests in Washington.
I was pleased the Senate took steps before the start of the state work period to ensure our nation’s veterans receive the care they were promised. Both the House and Senate approved an agreement to address the crisis at the VA, which I supported. The bill provides funding to hire more doctors, nurses, and medical staff. It authorizes funding for leases to use medical facilities at 27 existing sites around the country, including an outpatient clinic in Lincoln.
Importantly, the legislation allows veterans to get care from non-VA physicians who participate in Medicare if they live more than 40 miles away from a VA facility, or if agency doctors cannot see them within 30 days. To improve transparency, the department would also be required to conduct regular audits on the care provided and staffing levels at each major medical facility.
The compromise also grants the VA secretary new powers to fire employees. The Senate recently confirmed Robert McDonald as Secretary of the VA. New, bold leadership is critical to fixing this broken agency’s systemic problems, and I am confident in Secretary McDonald’s ability to implement needed reforms and enhance accountability.
These steps to fix our badly broken VA system are encouraging, but our work to keep our promises to veterans is not done. While in Nebraska this month during the state work period, I will be sitting down with veterans to hear their personal experiences and how we can further achieve progress in resolving the VA’s problems to better serve our nation’s heroes and provide them the care they deserve.
I will also be holding listening sessions in more than a dozen communities, hosting roundtables with various groups, visiting local businesses, and speaking with families about a number of different issues impacting our state.
As I’ve mentioned in this weekly column before, I have been focused this year on working to promote more opportunities for the middle class in education, healthcare, and the workplace through my Strong Families, Strong Communities plan. I look forward to discussing this agenda with Nebraskans and hearing your feedback about additional ways we can help hardworking families and strengthen our communities.
Part of my plan seeks to provide Americans more control over their healthcare. Obamacare remains an ongoing challenge for individuals, businesses, and families. I will visit with health care groups and local hospitals across the state during the state work period and will continue to share your stories in Washington of how this law is hurting Nebraskans.
Slow economic growth and overregulation also continue to stifle job creation and create uncertainty for businesses large and small. As I meet with business owners and job creators throughout this month, I will be asking for specific federal regulations that are holding back growth in our private sector, which Nebraskans know is key to jumpstarting our economy.
Finally, I hope you will be able to attend one of the many listening sessions I am holding to hear directly from you about your views and concerns. This constituent input is vital to our legislative process at the local, state, and federal level. The sessions will take place throughout the month in Omaha, Lincoln, Schuyler, Columbus, Norfolk, O’Neill, Stuart, Gordon, Rushville, Curtis, Lexington, Cozad, and Ogallala, More details are available in the schedule of public events I am holding this month on my website: http://fischer.senate.gov.
Thank you for taking part in our democratic process; I look forward to visiting with you again next week.

No comments: