Sunday, August 18, 2013

STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSES MOUTH

Duane A. Lienemann
UNL Extension Educator
     It seems that we just finished county fair and here I am getting ready for the Nebraska State Fair. I have already been at the State Fair Livestock Office working on stalling assignments for 4-H beef, which looks to be rather challenging.  Involvement in the Nebraska State Fair has been a ritual for me for many years.  I remember going to Lincoln for my very first Nebraska State Fair. I believe it was around 1955 and I had the opportunity to go with my dad and grandfather.  They were going there to look at farm machinery and livestock, but I think in many ways it was social for them too, much like it is for me. Their catching up with relatives or other fellow farmers and stockmen gave me plenty of time to crawl on and marvel at these shiny new wonders or to walk through the barns to see the best livestock in our state and maybe the world! I don’t think I have missed a year ever since, either as a wide eyed farm kid marveling at the carnival rides or all the sights and sounds and “oh – so many people” or in later years as a 4-H and FFA exhibitor, participating in the Nebraska State 4-H Livestock Judging Contest, then college student, and finally my adult years as an FFA Advisor or UNL Extension Educator.
     I know that it is hard for my wife and probably a lot of other people to understand what I see in spending my days and evenings at a “hot, dirty and boring” event like livestock shows, county fairs and especially the Nebraska State Fair.  I have written in former columns about what I like about these venues, the values I see for our youth and the comradeship that comes with sharing that same feeling with other people just like me. The nice thing is that you no longer have to travel to Lincoln as it moved to Grand Island about four years ago to a fabulous location, wonderful buildings and a brand new dedication to agriculture, something that became missing at the old location.  
     I think it was a good move as is evidenced by the participation and attendance at the fair.  There has been new life breathed into the State Fair and it feels good. Nebraska, after all, is about agriculture and one out of three people in Nebraska are employed in an agriculturally based career in agriculture. It is what rural American and especially rural Nebraska is all about.  It is fun to see the amazement on people’s faces when they first walk into the new Livestock Exhibit Hall and Show Arena. It still gives me goose bumps to see a great lineup of cattle, sheep (or you name it) strutting their stuff in the arena soil, or the bevy of activities and efforts of parents and youth getting their animals ready for show.  It is hard to describe the smell, the excitement and the anticipation that seems to hang in the air. Among all the other things that the State Fair provides, this is the major attraction for me.  It never gets old, only my body does!
     Speaking of State Fairs, I heard this past week about an unfortunate happening at our neighbor to the east – the Iowa State Fair.  I had the chance on a couple of occasions to attend that amazing fair and of course like millions of others had to go see the full sized statue of a cow made out of butter.  It is after all a mecca or at least an icon of that fair.  I don’t think that it is any secret that I don’t have a lot of use for animal rights groups and/or their antics. Well they did their usual stupid stunts to this icon, sneaking into ag hall and dumping red paint on the butter cow and writing graffiti on the glass enclosure. Thank goodness, the cow, a fair tradition since 1911, cleaned up well after the dousing. One of the most vile groups, Animal Liberation Front, claimed responsibility and supposedly did this as a “reminder that there are people opposed to the eating of meat and dairy and that the meat and dairy industry is inordinately cruel.”  I see it as just plain criminal and incredibly stupid! I for the life of me cannot get my head into the minds of these people.
     I think that most individuals have heard that our own Nebraska State Fair will be visited this year with a radical animal rights group. PETA has applied and have been granted the privilege to have a booth at the fair.  First I have to tell you that I was infuriated and then after taking in some smelling salts took a more logical approach to the situation.  After the word got out I know I heard lots of discussion from young people and so “not so young” that had all sorts of ideas on their visit to Nebraska. Some were downright disgusted, some other amused, and some were looking forward to confronting the representatives from PETA. Some came up with the idea that they should set up a booth and sell PETA (People Eating Tasty Animal) T-shirts right next to them.  Others were welcoming the chance to see their antics and perhaps communicate with them. Some looked at it a little differently and took real offense to them even coming to our fair, and especially around our youth.  Some things I cannot repeat, but you can probably imagine what some would say or do. I might give some thoughts towards this group and how we in the livestock industry should approach them or react should they confront us.
     While I certainly do not agree with the philosophy or the antics of PETA, like it or not, they have applied for a booth at the State Fair and they do have the right to be there. We also have the right to disagree with them; however, we must remember that they thrive on controversy and confrontation. They are after publicity - and especially if they can put livestock producers into any kind of bad light. The best way to deal with them is to simply walk by, ignore them, and for sure not to argue with them -- even if they harass you. Parents need to visit with their youth, especially 4-H and FFA exhibitors, to guide them along the same lines. We as livestock producers cannot afford to fall into their trap. Instead, use your energy to communicate through social media, and most importantly through your daily work, how we humanely raise and care for these animals and how they are part of our daily lives. See you at the Nebraska State Fair –Aug. 23-Sept. 2!!

The preceding information comes from the research and personal observations of the writer which may or may not reflect the views of UNL or UNL Extension. For more further information on these or other topics contact D. A. Lienemann, UNL Extension Educator for Webster County in Red Cloud, (402) 746-3417 or email to: dlienemann2@unl.edu or go to the website at: http://www.webster.unl.edu/home 

No comments: