Saturday, July 9, 2011

STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSES MOUTH

Duane A. Lienemann,
 UNL Extension Educator, Webster County
July 9, 2011 Edition
Well, it is here for many Nebraska Counties – Fair Time! I know that the county in which I live just finished its clean up day and in fact I just got back home from doing some final touches before the 4-H and FFA kids come in with their horses for the Working Ranch Horse Competition and the annual Horse Show. I also know that a couple of surrounding fairs are just finishing up, right in the middle of, or perhaps just beginning their run. It seems to me that we just got done with last year’s fair and now it is upon us again. Where does that time go?
In last week’s column I spent some time outlining the virtues of the county fair and in particular the country in county fair. I knew when I wrote the piece that fair was just around the corner, but Holy Cow – did that week go fast. Every year I wonder if we will get everything done that needs to be done. You hope the judges will remember to come, that the weather stays decent, and behind it all is the hope that everything goes like it is supposed to, or at least how you have it planned. Ultimately people, like me and the many volunteers and staff that work to pull off this wonder of country life, just hope that the young people, their families and the people in our collective communities have a great time, and the experience and opportunities are positive ones for our youth. I know in visiting with fair board members and particularly the parents, FFA advisors and 4-H Leaders that this is a labor of love. Almost to a “T” they all say it is about the kids!
Speaking of kids, I don’t know how many of you have seen a 4-H ice cream roll. It is so good to see the young people, parents and grandparents talking, laughing and enjoying the looks upon the faces of the kids as they roll cans of ice and rock salt surrounding smaller cans of a plethora of different flavors of “home-made” ice cream back and forth with their partner. I didn’t get to sample any this year as I had to get the bugs out of the sound system, but by all reports the ice cream was delicious and by the noise that came from the event area – they were all having a good time. It will take some awful good recipes to beat the “strawberry cheesecake” ice cream that I sampled a couple of years ago! I unfortunately did not hear what the most unique flavor was this year – let me tell you though, there have been some good ones!
It will not be long now and all the static exhibits will be in place, and you will hear that cacophony of sounds that make each and every fair what it is. The sounds of chickens, roosters and ducks, as well as the incessant bleating of sheep and goats, the grunts and squeals of pigs always wanting to eat, and of course the gentle mooing of the bovine species as they lay in their stalls or are walked to their tie outs or perhaps to the watering tank. What is especially music to my ears is the excited chatter of the kids as they catch up with their friends and discuss how much better their animal is than the one they had last year.
The “tank”, I have to tell you that when you see that water tank – you know what the future will hold as the fair winds down and the last day arrives. That is when you know the work is done, the awards have been presented and it is time to let your hair down. You never want to turn your back to a young 4-H’er on the last day of the fair unless you are prepared to change clothes or at the very least cool down with an impromptu shower. Then these young people are off to the demo derby and the rodeo or perhaps the carnival rides, just as excited and full of energy as they were on opening day.
As this column hits the newspapers we will be right smack in the middle of our fair and I should know if everything is going smoothly as you would hope it will. It seems we always get a couple of blistering days and perhaps a good shot of rain and perhaps a storm or two during the fair - and one thing is for certain - it is over much quicker than what you thought it would be. I do know that the old bones and muscles don’t forgive the extra workout they receive this time of year like they used to. I end up hurting in places I didn’t know I had. Feet, hips, legs, arms, and back all start giving detail to the abuse of former years. It seems much hotter than it used to (even in cooler days), the distances between buildings and events seem a lot further apart, and the nights seem later and the mornings earlier. But I wouldn’t have it any other way.
The people I talked to during clean up hit it right on the nose. It is about kids. I can’t wait to see them prepare and show their animals, to watch them run, yes I said run – from one building to another or perhaps to the 4-H Food Stand, or maybe to help chase a wayward lamb or calf that slipped its halter. I can’t wait to see the parade of animals in front of the judge, and walk through the 4-H and FFA exhibit hall to the smell of fresh baked goods and the beauty of photography, horticultural items, unique wood or metal projects, sewed goods, etc. I always stop to look at the welding boards and critique them, just as I did my former students in welding class. That always brings back some great memories.
It is always good to talk to old friends and past 4-H and FFA members who now come back with their kids to try to capture for them some of what they experienced when they were their children’s age. Some even drive miles and miles each year, just to take in the fair. It really doesn’t get any better than this for people like me. Strangely those inflictions I spoke of miraculously seem to go away. If you haven’t made it over to the fair yet – come on over. And when you do, give me a holler and then sit in the bleachers at the show arena or one of the many benches around the grounds and watch. See if you can see what I see. Sit back and enjoy this little bit of Americana – while we still have it!
The preceding information comes from the research and personal observations of the writer which may or may not reflect the views of UNL or UNL Extension. For more further information on these or other topics contact D. A. Lienemann, UNL Extension Educator for Webster County in Red Cloud, (402) 746-3417 or email to: dlienemann2@unl.edu or go to the website at: www.webster.unl.edu/home

No comments: