Sunday, April 10, 2011

STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSES MOUTH

 Duane A. Lienemann,
 UNL Extension Educator,
 Webster County
April 9, 2011 Edition

I will have to admit as I sit down to write this column that I am having trouble keeping my eyes open. I guess that is typical for one of my age and especially considering that it is a weekend. However, I actually have a pretty good excuse this time. Most everyone that knows me is familiar with the fact that I taught agricultural education for many years before becoming an extension educator. That first career choice also meant that I was the FFA advisor. Now that seems to be a rather weird segue into this week’s topic – and the reason I am so tired. But it is primarily the reason for my current physical state. I attended the 83rd Nebraska State FFA Convention these past few days as a convention assistant.
While that is not all that remarkable, in that many people volunteer their time and efforts in helping to run the convention and the accompanying agricultural education contests (CDE), it was especially poignant for me to be on the other end of the convention. I got to work behind the scenes, instead of coaching, monitoring and hauling kids to where they needed to be. I had the opportunity to work with the cream of the crop helping with the Legislative breakfast, the State Proficiency finalist interviews and the Star State Degree finalist competition. While being a long couple of days with a lot of pressure, all I can say is WOW! I come away every year so highly impressed with the young men and women across our state whom I get to know a little better through these processes. I knew the caliber of these young people as a teacher, since I had some of the best in the land in my classes, but this always comes back to remind me and to reaffirm my faith in the future with the talents and skills exhibited by these outstanding young men and women.
Most people remember the early years when FFA stood for “Future Farmers of America”. It was that familiar moniker when I was a young member in the organization in the 60’s and it was that when my father was in FFA during the 30’s. Some parents will contend that because of the many activities within the organization is that it actually stood for “Father Farms Alone.” I heard that many times when I was an ag teacher/FFA advisor. It was always in good humor though because most every parent that said that, also said they would have it no other way - because of the value that their child received as a member of this organization. Of course the official name has since changed because of the influx of non-farm students into the ag ed programs across the nation to just be “FFA”. But, no matter how you paint it, I believe that the FFA Mission still stays the same – “FFA makes a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth and career success through agricultural education.”
Not only has the name changed, so has the program and the demographics. There were no girls as members when I was in. That certainly has changed. You could see that walking through the halls during the FFA State Convention and it would not surprise me if they now outnumber boys. Many will say that we used to be pretty heavy in “Plows and Cows”. That too has changed with the influx of other sciences, horticulture and agribusiness. One thing that hasn’t changed is the emphasis on leadership and leadership development. I think most people know that FFA excels in this venue. What many people don’t know is that FFA is a co-curricular organization. The U.S. Congress passed Public Law 81-740 during the year after I was born – yes that long ago. This Congressional Act gave the FFA a Federal Charter and stipulated that it be recognized by Congress as an intra-curricular part of the educational program. Did you notice that? Intra-curricular, that means it is not extra-curricular. That is important to note and a big reason why I think that agriculture education/FFA should be in every school in this state. I don’t think there is another program that gives you so much “bang for the buck!”

Agriculture is the engine that runs this state. UNL research has determined that one out of three jobs in this state is directly involved in agriculture. That is significant. I made note that 5 new FFA Chapters were chartered this year and recognized at the convention, and even more amazing is that several other schools are looking at the same possibility, including one in my close vicinity. That satisfies and impresses me, that even in tough budget times, our constituents see the value of agriculture and the accompanying intra-curricular organization called FFA. If all of my fellow taxpayers were to take in the State FFA Convention, or at the very least attend one of the evening sessions at Pershing Auditorium with more than 3500 young men and women all dressed in the Blue & Gold; witness their skills and talents; and see the enthusiasm that permeates the halls and meeting rooms, they would see what I see and would see to it that we keep this program alive, well and available to our young people who strive for a viable agriculture and leadership oriented background. One only has to look at our national economy picture to know how valuable agriculture is to our very being.
I can tell you that our area young people represented us all very well and that they make us proud. I do want to salute all the young FFA’ers for their hard work, determination and recognition that they brought themselves, their schools and their communities. One of the pinnacles of any young Greenhand coming into FFA is development of leadership skills. Webster County’s own Shelby Peters was chosen as one of the members of the 2011 Nebraska State Officer team. What an accomplishment! Congratulations Shelby and all of the other young men and women who will go on to solidify the future of our state and our country. They really do live up to the FFA Theme for this year, “FFA – Infinite Potential.” Think of the “unlimited possibilities” for all of these young people. I think I will sleep well tonight!
The preceding information comes from the research and personal observations of the writer which may or may not reflect the views of UNL or UNL Extension. For more further information on these or other topics contact D. A. Lienemann, UNL Extension Educator for Webster County in Red Cloud, (402) 746-3417 or email to: dlienemann2@unl.edu or go to the website at: www.webster.unl.edu/home

No comments: